Goodbye AZ - Hello NM

 Today was a repositioning day. Moved further east to visit some places in NM before heading to Texas. No sightseeing today so instead some info about where we are going and why. 

Some of you know that I’ve been visiting National Parks, Memorials, Historic Sites, Monuments.... all to collect passport stamps. Several years ago after I’d been collecting stamps since the 80’s, the Department of Interior came out with a new passport book and it’s a whopper. So I bought it and I’m now on a mission (snd I’m dragging a phil along) to visit as many places listed in this book as possible. 



Listed in this book are places all over this country and in US Territories where you can visit snd get a passport stamp.  As we travel we try and hit some of these spots. Some are historically significant - like battlefields- and some commemorate significant events - treaty signings - we are going to Chamizal National Monument this week.  Many are just plain beautiful places in our country. 

At each location you can collect a Passport stamp . See below.  




Some stamps have alluded me. The most frustrating has been the stamp for Haleakala National Park. I went there once to see sunrise and ride down on a bike and another time I rented a car and drove up the switchbacks to get to the top - both times to get there either before or after the visitor center was closed. Some day I’ll get it. Tonto National Monument was closed when federal funding was shut down when Congress  refused to pass a continuing resolution and Minidoka (one of the WWII internment camps in Idaho)  just isn’t staffed every day.  

Visiting all these places has been an adventure.  Some are more interesting than others but at each place Phil and I learn about something we didn’t know. Here’s hoping some of you catch the Passport bug and want to get out and explore.  



Comments

  1. I’ve always wanted to visit all the states. This password sounds so awesome. So educational and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve always wanted to visit all the states. This password sounds so awesome. So educational and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve always wanted to visit all the states. This password sounds so awesome. So educational and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary Lou and Phil. Catching up on a few days of your writings. Keep it up. Thx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Idaho Potato Museum